Luiz de Queiroz College of Agriculture is a result of the idealism and initiative of Luiz Vicente de Souza Queiroz (1849-1898). In 1892, Luiz de Queiroz donated his farm, called São João da Montanha, to the State of São Paulo. His aim was to establish a school of agriculture or an institute dedicated to the education of professionals in agriculture. The State Government committed to establish an agricultural school within 10 years. Student enrollment started on the first of May, 1901. The school was opened and classes began on the third of June, with eleven students.
In 1931, the School was renamed Luiz de Queiroz College of Agriculture (Esalq/USP), in honor of the man who envisioned it. From 1901 to 1934, the college functioned as part of the São Paulo State Department of Agriculture. In 1934 it was integrated to the University of São Paulo (USP) as its College of Agriculture.
In 1964, Esalq/USP started offering graduate degrees at Master of Science level. PhD programs began in 1970. An undergraduate Forestry degree was included in the traditional Agriculture program in 1972; in 1998 an undergraduate degree in Economics was implemented; in 2001 Food Science; 2002 Biological Sciences and Environmental Management degrees started; in 2013, an undergraduate degree in Management was initiated.
Today Esalq/USP is one of the most renown institutions in science, technology, teaching and extension for Brazilian agriculture.
Picture by Roberto Amaral